Pin It

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers

It's not too often that I post a recipe that includes red meat. It's just not my favorite thing at all. I usually avoid it like the plague! So when my fitness trainer suggested this recipe to me, I kind of thought I would just make it for my hubby and I would make something else for myself. But as I was making it, it smelled so good and I actually got anxious to taste it. When it came out of the oven and I saw that hot bubbly cheese all over the top, I decided to give it a try. Oh boy am I glad I did! This meal was wonderful and it will definitely be made over and over again at this house. This summer, when my red bell peppers are ripe in my garden, I will try making it with those also. So thank you Randi, for the recipe suggestion. This one is a keeper!!
Right before I stuffed the peppers
Right after they came out of the oven. Gotta love all that cheesy goodness!
 Recipe Source: http://www.workoutbox.net/?p=497


Makes 3 servings

1 lb top sirloin steak, very thinly sliced
6 slices provolone cheese (you can use extra slices on top if you want yours extra cheesy)
3 large green bell peppers
1 red onion, sliced
8 oz white mushrooms sliced
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt/ pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400°
Slice the top off each pepper and remove the ribbing and the seeds. Slice up the onions and the mushrooms.
In a large skillet, heat butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. When it's hot, add the sliced onions and sliced mushrooms. Continue to cook on low-med until the onions are caramelized, about 25-30 min.

Salt and pepper your steak slices. In a separate skillet, cook the steak in just a small amount of olive oil, for about 5 minutes, just until it's no longer pink. Add the steak to the onion, mushroom mixture and stir together.

Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of Provolone cheese. (see first picture above if needed). Fill each cheese lined pepper with steak, mushroom mixture until they are very full and overflowing. Top each filled pepper with a slice of Provolone cheese. Bake in 400° for approx 15 minutes or until the cheese on the top is a golden brown.
Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment