Pin It

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chicken Caliente Sausage Skillet

Those who know me, know that I am not a big fan of sausage. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I think all that changed when I discovered Southwest Chicken Caliente Sausage from Sprouts Market. It's got a perfect amount of spices and jalapeno to give it a nice spicy flavor. Plus it's made from chicken  and it's rare that I find a chicken dish that I truly don't like.

So tonight when I decided to make this meal, I had the idea that I wanted to try something different using this sausage. I searched for a recipe that I could use, but I must have been in a picky mood because nothing struck my fancy.  So it was time to let the creative juices loose again. I used the liquid measurements from a previous skillet mac recipe I had made, and blended that with the flavors I knew I wanted this dinner to have. It turned out to be a great combo. Since I am not eating grains or pasta these days, I took one small, and boy oh boy, I do mean small, bite just to try it so I could give you a legitimate opinion. I REALLY liked it!! I wish I could have eaten more, but alas, it's time  to continue on my wellness journey with only organic whole foods. So it was a separate dinner for me.
The hubby did give it rave reviews though.




*If you don't  have a Sprouts market nearby to purchase the kind of sausage used in this recipe, then just use your favorite sausage (Sweet Italian, Polsa Kielbasa  etc) If you want it spicy like the caliente sausage used in the recipe, add one fresh chopped jalapeno and some fresh chopped cilantro when you cook the sausage. 

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Southwest Chicken Caliente Sausage from Sprouts Market, removed from casings
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 sweet red bell pepper, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 can S&W Chili Beans (Pinto beans, chili peppers, onion and garlic in a zesty tomato sauce) 
1 (3.8 oz) can sliced olives, drained
1/2 milk
8 oz bowtie pasta (you can use your favorite pasta instead)
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 green onions, sliced

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add sausage, onions, garlic and red pepper. Cook about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chili beans, olives, milk, pastas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover the skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes until the pasta is tender. Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Mix well. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and sprinkle with green onions. Put the lid back on for about 2 minutes to allow the cheese on the top to melt. Serve hot and enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. Joni, I'm re-addicted to your blog. Glad you are back, this recipe looks yummy. I think I'll put it on the grocery list for next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are still using some of the recipes Angie! oh boy I wish I could keep cooking like I used to, but I gotta keep up with the healthy/weight loss.

    ReplyDelete