Pin It

Monday, January 28, 2013

Asian Chicken Wings


I need to start with a confession here. These are made from last night's leftover baked chicken wings. So I only made the sauce tonight and "re-baked" them. Since I like my chicken wings, super crispy, I tend to bake them for quite awhile and then they have that "fried" kind of texture on the outside without all the unhealthiness of fried wings. So if you want to start with raw chicken wings, I assume you could just put the sauce on them and bake them until they are done, but I can't guarantee the outcome since this is the first time I have created these. I'm sure it would work just fine, but for the purpose of this recipe I will tell you how I made them with already baked wings.

Tonight I wondered what I could do with leftover baked wings. I contemplated BBQ sauce of some kind, but then  my creative juices really started flowing. I made a mad dash around my pantry and refrigerator collecting anything I thought might come together to make a good wing sauce. Ok so it wasn't really a mad dash as I was actually really happy about creating these, so it was more like a
"happy dash." The hubby and I were both pleasantly surprised at how great this tasted. I can't wait to make them again!!
For the chicken:
12 Chicken wings
salt/pepper

Season the wings with salt and pepper. Bake in a 375° oven for approx. 1 hour or until crispy, brown and cooked through.  Set aside. (While the chicken is cooking, prepare your wing sauce)

Asian wing sauce:
1 lg garlic clove, chopped finely
1 Tbsp canola oil

1 cup water


1/4 tsp pepper
 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp finely diced, fresh ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
 2 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp fish sauce (sold in the Asian section at the grocery store)

1 Thai chili pepper, chopped finely
1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (sold in the Asian section at the grocery store)

2 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp water

2-3 Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)

Heat oven to 375°
In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 Tbsp canola oil. When it's hot, add the garlic and saute until the garlic is golden and tender. Add the water, pepper, salt, ginger, sesame oil sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, Thai pepper and chili garlic sauce. Combine thoroughly. Bring to a slow boil.

In a very small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. This will be your thickening agent for your sauce. After it's stirred well together it should resemble watered down milk. Add  this starch mixture to your sauce. Continue to heat until the sauce thickens. When you think it's thick enough to stick to your wings, remove from heat.
Place all the wings in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over them and mix thoroughly to coat each wing with sauce on all sides. You can also use a spoon to spoon more sauce over each one. Place the "sauced" wings onto a broiler pan or baking pan. Place the wings into the oven and "re-bake" them for 30 minutes.
When wings come out of the oven, garnish them with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment