Pin It

Monday, January 28, 2013

Loaded Brown Rice and Chili Beans

I am pretty sure that this dish has all my favorite ingredients. Ok...so it doesn't have chocolate! As I was gathering fixins to make dinner tonight, I was struck by a thought. Why not put all of the great things I can find in my kitchen together to make a wonderful side dish? I'm so glad the thought evolved as this dish turned out to be scrumptious. I may have just created my new favorite brown rice side dish. If you love brown rice, chili beans, olives, jalapenos, onions and cilantro, then you will love this! Next time I might even add some diced tomatoes. I guess you can add just about anything you like that goes with this. Enjoy!!
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
3 cups water

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 (16 oz) can chili beans in mild sauce (do not drain)
2 oz diced jalapenos
4 oz sliced olives, drained

1 med onion, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

Bring 3 cups water and olive oil to a boil. Add the brown rice. Cover with a lid and put the fire on very low and leave it for 45 min.

While the rice is cooking, saute  your onion in olive oil over low heat until golden brown and tender.
Get all your other ingredients ready.

After the rice is done cooking, add in the sauteed onion and all the other ingredients except  the cilantro. Stir to mix together. Reheat on low flame until everything is heated through. This shouldn't take but just a couple of minutes. Take off the fire and stir in chopped cilantro. Salt it to taste and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment