Pin It

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Sausage Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini

Sometimes I just sit back and wonder why I do things like this to myself? What did I do you ask? Well I made these wonderful stuffed zucchini and I can't even enjoy them! *sigh*
I am sure shootin positive they don't qualify as a healthy whole food that my nutrition doctor would be excited about me eating. They are generally healthy, but since I am on a whole foods only program, with no dairy, the cheese and a few other ingredients disqualified these for me!

As the hubby was giving them the "thumbs up" at dinner, I couldn't help myself. I got a fork and tasted the smallest amount I could place on the end of the fork. Trust me it was microscopic, but it was enough for me to know that they tasted wonderful. So now I feel like I can give you a tried and true opinion. So gather up the ingredients, put on that old apron that's gathering dust and get cooking!

P.S. Don't be like me and forget to add the chopped green onion to the top after it's finished.  I found them sitting on my countertop after we had already cut into them.

Recipe adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

For  the sauce:

1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 chipotle chilis, chopped (canned chipotle chili) (use only 1 tsp if you don't like spicy food)
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2/3 cup chicken broth
salt/pepper to taste

For the Zucchini:

4 zucchini
1 tsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
8-12 oz pork sausage, cooked(I used pork green chili sausage from Sprouts market)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp chili powder
3 Tbsp chicken broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
salt/pepper to taste

For  topping:

1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (you can substitute your favorite...mozzarella, jack, pepper jack etc)
 1 (3.8 oz) can sliced olives, drained

For garnish:

Chopped cilantro
Green onions



In a medium saucepan, saute the garlic in the olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add the chipotle chilis, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, salt and pepper. . Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper to suit your taste. Set the sauce aside until later.

Preheat oven to 400 °. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the flesh, leaving about a 1/4 inch thickness to the zucchini boat. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini into small pieces and set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the zucchini boats into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute, then immediately remove from the water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil and add the onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Ad chopped zucchini and cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 4 minutes then add the cooked sausage, cumin, Italian seasoning, chili powder, chicken broth, and tomato paste. Cook for 3 more minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.

Place 1/4 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam. Place zucchini halves in the dish, cut side up. Fill each zucchini boat with 1/3 cup sausage mixture. If there is extra, just scoop it on in to any that look like they could use some extra. Push the mixture down into the zucchini with the back of your spoon. 

Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the zucchini boats. Top with 1 cup grated cheese and sliced olives. Cover with foil and bake at 400 ° for 35 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro and sliced green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment