Pin It

Monday, December 23, 2013

Peppermint Fudge

I have to admit that I am not much of a fudge eater. I mean, I like it, it's ok, but I tend to like the Southern, gritty, harder type fudge, rather than the soft kind. But I think I could become a convert with this peppermint fudge. The mint added such a depth to the flavor and gave it some texture that is usually not there with plain chocolate fudge. This one will be added to my "have to make at Christmas list" from  now on. :)
Recipe Adapted From: http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2012/12/peppermint-fudge

  • 1 (14 ounce) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (you can substitute with dark chocolate)
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 candy canes, crushed into bits for the topping

Line an 8 inch square pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
Over a double boiler on simmer, heat the the sweetened condensed milk and butter together until the butter is melted.
Add in the semi sweet chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
Mix in the peppermint and vanilla and stir until combined.
Place the candy canes in a baggie. Gently crush with a cup, or the back of a spoon, until the candy canes are in small sized pieces.
Pour the pieces into a strainer to sift out the finely crushed peppermint dust.
Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the fudge.
Place in therefrigerator to set for at least 3 hours before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment