Pin It

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cilantro and Jalapeno Latkes

This was my first experience making Latkes. I don't think it will be my last. It's almost like having a yummy, flavor filled hash brown with dinner. I really liked the flavor of these. The cilantro and jalapeno added a good, spicy, combination to the potato. I'm not exactly sure how they will fare for leftovers today, but then again, leftovers are never my favorite!

3 cups shredded and peeled potato
 1/2 cup grated onion
 3 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
 1 Tbsp chopped Jalapeno
 1 egg white and a small part of the yolk ( I just used my fingers to break apart the yolk)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 cup olive oil, divided
  
Combine potato and onion in a colander. Drain 30 minutes. Press occasionally with the back of a spoon to get more of the liquid/moisture out of them.. Combine potato/onion mixture, flour, cilantro,, jalapeno, egg, cumin and salt in a large bowl. Mix together with a spoon. 

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan. Spoon 1/2 cup potato mixture at a  time into the hot oil. Flatten with a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment