Pin It

Monday, June 24, 2013

Lime Cilantro Quinoa

I love Quinoa. I haven't had any in quite awhile and tonight, I decided to make a new recipe. I have tried quinoa many ways, but this by far is the best way I've ever fixed it. Of course, I think you can add lime and cilantro to just about anything and they would somehow make it taste better. Lime and Cilantro make great partners. Kind of like my hubby and I! :) They just go together perfectly. (So glad I can still say that after 30 years of being married)
All the flavors in this dish balance out so well and compliment each other. I wanted to just take the spoon and not stop eating but I forced myself  to walk away after a small amount, knowing that if I didn't stop, I never would. So guess what I will be having for lunch tomorrow? You guessed right....Cilantro Lime Quinoa!


Recipe Adapted From:
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/recipecomdetail.jsp?recipeId=25113181

1 cup quinoa
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
2 cloves garlic, chopped
14 oz chicken broth
1/4 cup pepitas
 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt

 Place the dry quinoa in a small skillet. Toast over medium fire for about 5 minutes or until it crackles. Then take the toasted quinoa and place it in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly and set aside.
Place the pepitas in the same skillet and toast them dry for about 2-4 minutes or until they begin to brown. Set aside.


Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the green chilies and the garlic and stir it together with the onions. Add the quinoa and the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and place a cover on the pan. Simmer on low heat until the broth has all been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. This should take about 20-25 minutes. 

Add the pepitas, cilantro, green onions, lime juice and salt. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and serve warm.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment