Pin It

Friday, July 12, 2013

Brown Rice Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing

As I sit here trying to type up some story or something interesting to put here, I realize my mind is blank. I am plagued with a dreaded annual sinus infection. Last year in July, the night before I was due to fly home from my vacation to Portland, I got hit with the worst sinus infection of my life. Thankfully, Kaiser was able to get me a prescription and I thought I would be ok on the flight home. Well....everything was fine until the plane started it's descent. Oh my goodness, I thought my head was going to explode from all the pressure. Trust me when I say I would rather give birth to another child, before ever doing that again. So you are probably wondering why I would pick that story to tell you. WELL...guess who is leaving again for Portland soon and guess who has another sinus infection? Me..that's right. Let's hope this time, I get rid of this bad boy BEFORE my flight. No more head exploding episodes this year! Oh yeah...so back to this salad. I wasn't feeling so well, so I decided to whip up this super easy salad. So glad I did, because it takes hardly any cooking, just slicing, dicing, stirring and cooking rice...yep that's it! In fact, I think this is what I will have today for leftover lunch. Yummy...I can't wait!
Recipe Adapted From: 
http://thecozyapron.com/cozy-cameo-asian-style-brown-rice-salad-a-salad-for-modern-times/



For the Salad:
4 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
1 cup edamame 

1 carrot, grated, or thinly sliced
1 cup brocccoli, cut into bite size chunks
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds


For the Dressing: 
 1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup canola oil

For the top of the salad:
Juice of 1 whole orange
Toasted sesame seeds


To prepare the salad: 
In a large bowl, place the cooled brown rice, edamame, carrot, broccoli, bell pepper, cilantro,green onion and sesame seeds. Toss to mix. Set aside.

To prepare the dressing:
In  a small bowl, stir together all the dressing ingredients. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Pour over rice salad. Toss to coat. When ready to serve, squeeze the juice of one orange over the salad and toss again. Sprinkle the top with toasted sesame seeds. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment