Pin It

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Coconut and Rum Banana Bread with Lime Rum Glaze

I feel like banana bread is so versatile. You can add peanut butter, chocolate, chocolate chips etc. I have made coconut banana bread before, but this is the first time I found a recipe adding lime and rum.. I mean seriously, who doesn't like lime, coconut, banana and rum together? I know this girl does! To be honest, I wish that all those ingredients were blended together in a nice, big frosty tropical drink. On top of that, I wish I was sipping it with my feet up on a beach in Hawaii! But here I am in Southern California, choosing to bake on a hot summer day. Brilliant? Yes, I thought so, until the sweat started pouring off of me inside my own house lol. Maybe I should have stuck a little drink umbrella into the top of my bread to decorate it. This might have been the ultimate way to fool my sweaty body into thinking I truly was on a beach in Hawaii. So drink up, or eat up....but either way...relax, put your feet up and bite into some yummy coconut and rum bread with lime rum glaze! ;)
Recipe Adapted From:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2167855

For the bread:

2 cups flour 
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 1/2 - 3 bananas) 
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (you can substitute vanilla yogurt also)
3 1/2 Tbsp coconut rum
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 tbsp additional flaked sweetened coconut (for the top)

For the glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice 
1/2 Tbsp coconut rum
*You can add more rum if you would like more rum flavor in your glaze. You will need to also adjust the sugar so as not to make it too thin 

Heat oven to 350°.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.

In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until blended well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the banana, yogurt, rum and vanilla. Beat until blended together. Add the flour mixture and only beat until it's moistened. Do not over mix! Stir in the 1/2 cup coconut. 

Grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan with Pam. Spoon the batter into the pan. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp coconut. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

While your bread is cooking, make your glaze by combining the powdered sugar, lime juice and rum in a small bowl. Stir together with a spoon until completely smooth.  

Once your bread is done cooking, cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove the bread from the pan onto a wire rack. Drizzle with glaze while warm. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment