Pin It

Friday, October 4, 2013

Chicken and Fruit Salad with Banana Dressing

Clearly it's Fall, when my nephew's girlfriend that lives in Oregon, posts that they are having the first fire of the season,  in the fireplace. After reading her post, I began to think of good old winter comfort foods. A few passed through my brain, such as: chili, chicken and dumplings, soup etc etc. Then I looked down and realized that I was in capri pants and a tank top. Also, I was too warm to be thinking of these kinds of foods. Clearly, Southern California has not gotten the Fall weather memo yet! Ok, Ok, it could just be that hot flashes now keep me in a permanent state of "summer" ;)
Whatever the cause, I knew that tonight's dinner would have to be of the light and refreshing variety. I scanned my Pinterest boards and this one caught my eye. Wow, I'm so glad it did.. This was super light, wonderfully refreshing and I can see this being a great "go to" summer lunch or dinner meal!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.chindeep.com/2012/06/25/st-james-hotels-california-chicken-salad-with-creamy-banana-dressing/

For 2 Salads:
2 grilled chicken breasts
Spinach leaves
Spring Salad Mix
1/2 cantaloupe, chopped into chunks
Several red grapes
1 large, ripe banana, sliced
1 orange, sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
1/4 fresh pineapple, cut into chunks

On two dinner plates, place the spinach leaves and the spring salad mix. You want enough of a bed of greens to place all the chicken and fruit on.
Place one sliced grilled chicken breast in the center of the greens, on each plate. 
Place an equal amount on the fruit on each plate, surrounding the chicken breasts. 

To make the creamy banana dressing:
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/6 cup brown sugar (or 2 and 2/3 Tbsp)
juice of 1/4 lemon

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until pureed and creamy. Serve on top of the salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment