Pin It

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Baked Zucchini Fries with Fiesta Dip

I sure wish I would have decided to try this recipe in the summer season when zucchini's were taking over my entire backyard. But leave it to me, to decide to try this, when I have to pay my local grocer for something I can grow myself. Yes, zucchini season is over for me! Well, at least now I know of a great way to use up some of the zucchini I grow next season. Here is the funny part...when zucchini is in season, it's too stinking hot to turn on the oven to cook this, so what is a girl to do? I guess  the answer is crank up the air conditioning in the summer and just make this anyway! Yes it's that good. It's just a new way to prepare zucchini, since I think I have actually tried every other way possible. The dip was so good with it also. In fact, I wanted to just get a spoon and eat the dip, I refrained. But barely!
Recipe Sources:
http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/fried-zucchini/
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fiesta-dip-10000001731425/

For the Fiesta Dip:
4 oz cream cheese, softened 
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt  
1/8 cup light mayonnaise  
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped 
3/4 tsp lime juice 
1/4 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce) 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
2-3 Tbsp chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers 
1 Tbsp finely chopped green onion


Place the first 7 ingredients in the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth. Add the roasted peppers and the green onion and pulse the processor just a few times until blended they are blended in.
Place in a bowl and cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.


For the Zucchini:
3 zucchini
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 packet Shake & Bake Coating Mix
1 egg

Heat oven to 450ยบ
Trim the ends off the zucchini, then cut crosswise in half, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch sticks.
 In the shake and bake bag, add the shake and bake mix and the Parmesan cheese. Shake to combine. 
Whisk the egg in a large bowl. Add the zucchini slices to the egg and toss to coat the slices thoroughly.
Place 1/4 of the zucchini in shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat. Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
Bake for 12 to 15 min. or until golden brown, rotating the baking tray halfway through the cooking time.
Remove the baked fries from the oven, and serve them with the fiesta dip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment