Pin It

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Buttermilk Peanut Butter Fudge

I've always been a fan of Southern fudge, which has a completely different texture than the fudge we all know and love today. Southern fudge is a much harder, more "sugary" type consistency. So when offered most fudges, I turn them down, as I'm not a fan of the softer fudges. But I had some leftover buttermilk and decided to try this fudge recipe. It's a cross between Southern fudge and regular fudge. I would venture to say it's a "caramely" texture. I took it to work and the students swarmed over it like it was money! Before I could even hardly lift the lid off the container, I was hearing "can I have a piece Mrs. D.? Can I take one for my friend?" (haha)! They proceeded to eat it all and then I was left with a room full of students in a sugar coma lol. Needless to say it was a nice quiet day ;)
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter

Directions:
Butter a large plate and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, bring the sugar, buttermilk, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook to the soft ball stage, removing from the heat immediately when the candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees. Add the vanilla and peanut butter, and stir with a wooden spoon to blend. Then beat energetically with the spoon until the fudge begins to lose its gloss and starts to thicken. Pour quickly onto the plate. Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment