Pin It

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Healthy Southwest Black Bean Soup

I have noticed recently that I hadn't looked through my actual cookbooks in forever. I had become a Pinterest recipe hoarder. So one day this week, when my grand daughter was over, I got out cookbooks to show her. I started going through some of them and found some new recipes to try. This black bean soup was one of  them. Oh boy, we truly loved it. So maybe it's time to give my Pinterest recipe boards a rest and bust out the good ole recipe books.
If you like the taste of beans with a little Southwestern flare, then this recipe is perfect for you. If you don't like the after effect of beans, then I'm not quite sure what to tell you other than to go buy some good old Beano at the nearest Rite Aid haha!
Recipe Adapted From The Cookbook: "Healthy Homestyle Cooking" by Evelyn Tribole

*Makes 4 medium bowls of soup

1 cup dried black beans
6 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup dry cooking sherry
1 cup chopped onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large  carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 1/4 tsp coriander
1/2- 3/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

*For garnish: grated cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro

In a large saucepan, combine the beans and the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 min.
While the beans are cooking, combine the sherry, onions and garlic in a skillet. Cook and stir until the onions are tender.
Add the onion mixture, carrots, celery, cumin, coriander, pepper and liquid smoke to the beans. Bring up to a boil again. Cover and reduce the heat to med low and simmer for 30-40 min or until the vegetables and the beans are both tender. Serve topped with cheddar cheese, and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment