Pin It

Friday, February 28, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork with Honey Jalapeno Lime Slaw on a Grilled Onion Bun

I've always been told that it's best to leave the crock pot lid on at all times when cooking, so as not to let all the heat escape. Well....it's confession time! I think I l lifted the lid at least 5 times to taste this for quality control because I couldn't resist the smell of it! Of course I waited until after the pork was cooked through, pulled and back in the sauce before the temptation overwhelmed me. I put this in my crock pot when I left for work this morning and oh the joy of coming home to a BBQ pulled pork smell in my house after work, was heavenly. I was so excited to try these tonight for dinner that I actually overloaded my sandwich and was forced to use a fork to eat it, because it was too hard to pick up. But trust me, even with a fork...this sandwich was incredible. There are so  many wonderful tastes and textures that come together to create a perfect blend. Sweet, spicy, crunchy, smooth...just to name a few. So if you are looking for a quick and tasty crock pot meal to throw together, this just might be the right one for you!

For the Pulled Pork:
 
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries ( I used blueberries and raspberries) *Original recipe calls for cherries
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
3 lb pork shoulder
2 tsps paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
 
For the Slaw:
 
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 (10 oz) bag cole slaw mix
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
 
Directions

Combine first 4 Pulled Pork ingredients in the bottom of the crock pot. Mix in 1/2 of the BBQ sauce.
Season the pork shoulder with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and place on top of the BBQ sauce mixture. Pour the remaining BBQ sauce on top.
Cook on low for about 6-7 hours, or until the pork is tender and can be pulled apart with forks.
Remove the pork, pull it (use two forks to shred it up), and return it to the crock pot.
Mix everything together in the crock pot and cook on low for an additional hour.
As the pork cooks, prepare the slaw by mixing together all of the ingredients. Cover until ready to serve.
Grill the onion buns by placing a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Heat on high. Place the buns (inside down) into the olive oil and grill until golden on the inside. 
When the pork is done, serve warm with slaw on fresh grilled onion buns.




Recipe adapted from: http://blog.hostthetoast.com/sweet-and-spicy-pulled-pork-with-honey-jalapeno-lime-slaw/

No comments:

Post a Comment