Pin It

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa

Quinoa is becoming more and more popular these days. The hubby and I have eaten it for a long time as an accompaniment to dinner. It's so good with tomatillo salsa over it! When I stumbled onto a Martha Stewart recipe for a breakfast quinoa, I knew I had to try it. I'm so glad I did. I changed the recipe a bit to add some different flavors and boy did I love it! It was quick to make while I was getting ready for work and I can't wait to make it again!
 


This makes quite a bit. Thankfully  the hubby helped me eat some. Next time I will cut it in half for sure! 

2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup quinoa, rinsed very well
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
 1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp Lillys brand coconut jam (I buy this at the local Asian market...but you could leave this out)
Fresh berries of your choice 

Bring milk to a low boil in a saucepan. Add the rinsed quinoa, and return to a low boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and jam. Cook, covered until almost all the milk is absorbed. (about another 6-8 minutes) Serve in a bowl with your favorite berries on top. You can stir in extra cinnamon, milk, and/or sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment