Pin It

Monday, May 21, 2012

Green Bean Bundles

These green beans came directly out of my backyard garden. Yes you heard me right.....right out of my backyard! I am so excited about growing food this summer. I added a lot to the garden this year and I am slowly seeing all my hard work pay off.  As for the bacon....it most definitely did NOT come straight out of my backyard. I am gardening a lot this year and I guess you could call me "Farmer Joni." but just because my husbands name is John and that would make him "Farmer John"....trust me, the bacon came directly from the grocery store! ;)

Green beans that are bundled in a blanket of bacon that has been cooked with brown sugar? Yes please! For those of you that know me and read this blog, you know that I am not a big fan of bacon. I am a big fan of green beans though. I actually loved this dish and this just might be my new "go to" green bean recipe. The brown sugar gives the bacon just a little crunch and the sweetness blends well with the beans.

Green Beans
Bacon (strips cut in half)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400°
Cook the green beans in a pot of boiling water until the are soft. Set them aside. Cook the bacon in a skillet until it is "soft" but done. You do not want it crisp or it will not roll around the green beans. Cut each slice of bacon in half. Roll each half around a small bundle of green beans and place each bundle in a well greased dish. I used 5 in each bundle. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for only a minute or two until the sugar  has been fully stirred into the butter. Use a pastry brush and brush this butter mixture all over the green bean bundles. Place the bundles into the oven for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment