Pin It

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Zucchini and Basil Pasta

Another meal made with fresh zucchini and basil right out of my  backyard garden? Yep! There is just something to be said for walking into your own backyard and picking fresh, organic ingredients to use for dinner. After a day of pulling weeds and harvesting vegetables from my garden, with my hubby, I knew I would have to plan a fairly easy meal to make. I mean...come on, I'm no spring chicken anymore. A day pulling weeds can knock me out of commission for a few days ;)
Since I had just picked fresh zucchini and I  knew I had a ton of basil growing, this recipe just called out to me. I am so thankful we tried it tonight, because it was simply amazing. The hint of lemon went perfectly with the vegetables and of course fresh basil goes with almost anything!
 Thank you to the recipe developer over at the original site for the recipe:  Zucchini and Basil Pasta
I can't wait to head back over to her web site and try some more of her recipes. Here is a link to her site:
http://achowlife.com/




2 medium zucchini
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups packed fresh, roughly chopped basil leaves
1 pound of your favorite pasta
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Slice the zucchini lengthwise into quarters and chop into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Place the zucchini on a plate and sprinkle the salt over the top of it. Let it sit for 15 minutes until the zucchini begins to sweat out it's liquid. Pat the zucchini dry with a paper towel.
Place enough water into a pot to boil your pasta. Bring the water to a boil and follow manufacturer directions on the pasta to cook it "al dente." Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. (You want the starchy water to use later in the recipe.) Drain the pasta in a colander.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over moderately high heat until it's hot. Saute the zucchini, stirring occasionally, until golden but still firm, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in the chopped basil. Stir in the pasta and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water and gently toss together. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment