Pin It

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cooked Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing

I'm so thankful I stumbled onto this recipe on Pinterest. It's definitely a winner in my book. I love cabbage and I love anything with a Thai type sauce. So this was a great find. My hubby, who is not particularly fond of cabbage, even liked this one. I am full right now, but I honestly can't wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I'm sure it will be just as good heated up in the microwave. I didn't happen to have any propane for our BBQ so I used my griddle on the stovetop and it worked perfectly. I also didn't have limes but I happened to have a bunch of lemons, so I substituted lemon for lime. It tasted great!! I can't wait until the limes on my tree are ripe and ready and then I can make it like the original.
 I found the original recipe at:
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-grilled-cabbage-wedges-157671
This is a great blog with so  many wonderful recipes. If you get a chance, head on over there and check out some of her wonderful recipes.


Juice of 3 limes or lemons
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fish sauce
 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 head green cabbage
Olive oil for brushing onto the cabbage

In a food processor or blender, mix the lime juice, olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne and sugar until thoroughly blended into a liquid. Set aside. Remove one set of outer leaves from the cabbage, and cut the cabbage into 8 evenly-sized wedges. Do not remove the stalk or inner core.  Lightly brush the wedges with olive oil.

If you cook this on an outdoor grill, the recipe says to place the wedges on the grill and cover. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges of each layer are blackened and the cabbage is beginning to soften. Turn each wedge over, cover the grill, and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side. Take the cabbage off the grill and arrange the wedges on a plate. Pour the dressing over top and serve immediately.

If you cook it on an indoor griddle like I did, just lay all 8 oil coated wedges out on the griddle. Cook on med heat for approx 5 min on one side, then flip them all over and cook for about 4-5 minutes on the other side. Place on a plate and serve with the dressing drizzled over it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment