Pin It

Friday, November 11, 2011

Caramel Corn

Today John was working overtime, so I decided to make some home made caramel corn that he could have when he got home from work. I really like this particular version to make, because not only is it super quick and easy, but it stays chewy instead of getting hard, like some of the versions of caramel corn that are out there. I know people have many different ways they like to eat caramel corn, but I am all for the sticky, chewy versions. I mean really....who doesn't love picking the ooey, gooey, stickiness out of their teeth all night. I'm sure my dentist appreciates me eating this snack, as it keeps me coming back to see him. Fortunately I was a good girl and got all the unpopped kernels out this time, so there was no broken teeth involved. Maybe that should have been my opening line "No teeth were actually harmed in the eating of this snack" ;)

1 bag microwave popcorn, popped
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C white Karo syrup
1/4 t salt 
1 cube butter, cut into bite size chunks
1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

Pop popcorn and put it into a very large bowl. Try to get out all the unpopped kernels. (Trust me, your teeth will thank you for this extra step!) In a large bowl, place the brown sugar, karo syrup, salt, and butter.   Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir thoroughly to combine. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Take it out and stir it again. Place it back in the microwave for 2 more minutes. When the caramel is done in the microwave, take it out and stir in the baking soda and the vanilla. Stir it well and pour it over the popcorn making sure to coat all the pieces. You can put a piece of wax paper on the counter and pour the popcorn out onto that, but I say just enjoy it warm right out of the bowl. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment