Pin It

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lemon Twists with Lemon Marshmallow Dip

Yesterday as I contemplated what I could bring to the pot luck at work today, absolutely nothing came to mind. So thankfully I had some chocolate chip, banana bread in the freezer that I had made last week. So when I suddenly woke up at 4 AM, (unfortunately this happens a lot) I decided I had no excuse to not have time or energy to make something. So the hunt began to find something in the house that I could make for work. Since I don't need coffee to get going in the morning, I dove right in and started looking for ingredients. Thankfully I had some puff pastry in my freezer. Oh and thankfully I have a microwave for defrosting things ;)
So once I had decided to use the puff pastry, I reved up the imagination and started making a concoction that I hoped would taste good. Thankfully it did! In fact, I would make these again. I really liked them. they are light and crispy and it helps that they were very simple to make. Now that it's 4 PM I hope I can remember how I threw these together this morning!
Ingredients for twists:
One sheet puff pastry
4 Tbsp butter, melted
Lemon juice 
Zest of one whole lemon 
1/2 cup sugar 

Ingredients for the Dip:
Approximately 3 cups marshamllows
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened


For the twists:
Heat oven to 400
Flour a work surface lightly and roll out on sheet of puff pastry with a rolling pin until it's just a little bit thinner than it came in the package. Cut the dough into strips. I made 24 by cutting the dough into strips. I cut twelve strips and then cut across them in the other direction to create 24 strips.
In a bowl, combine 4 Tbsp of melted butter with lemon juice. You can use as much or as little as you like to bring out the lemon flavor. I used almost an entire lemon. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Take each strip of pastry and completely cover it with the melted butter/lemon mixture. Next put the buttered pastry strip into the sugar/lemon zest mixture. Make sure you get the mixture onto the entire twist. Twist the pasty and place it on a Pam coated cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for about 7 minutes and then flip them over. Bake for about 7-8 more minutes. If you have extra lemon juice and you want them more "lemony", squeeze some extra juice onto them when you flip them. 

For the Dip:
Melt marshmallows in the microwave with the corn syrup. Stir completely and add in cream cheese. Use a mixer to blend these together thoroughly. Serve soon after making. (My dip got a little "thicker" as the day wore on and it didn't seem to be as creamy later in the day! But it was still YUMMY!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment