Pin It

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Salmon and Pineapple Ceviche

I know that salmon is usually not the fish of choice for ceviche. Well tonight it had to be. That was about the only choice in my freezer at the moment. I also know that no one traditionally puts pineapple in their ceviche. Well I wanted to give it a try. I'm really glad I did! When I was pulling all the ingredients out of my refrigerator for dinner, I saw a beautiful fresh pineapple staring back at me. I have made several seafood dishes with pineapple salsa on top of them, so I thought, why not try it in ceviche? So after a trip out to my garden to pick some ripe tomatoes and a couple ripe jalapenos, I got started throwing it together. Laziness overtook my brain and I decided to use my food processor to chop everything for this dish, which would have been fine, except that I got a little too aggressive with the "pulse" button! I ended up making salsa out of it instead of a nicely chopped mix for ceviche. Needless to say, I poured it on top of the fish anyway and then set out to chop a few extra chunks of tomato, cilantro and chives so it wouldn't look as though I had made salsa with fish in it! So if you decide to use your food processor to make this, go gentle on the "pulse button" or you will have to do some extra chopping also!
2 Salmon fillets, chopped into bite size chunks
3 large lemons, juiced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup green onions, chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot sauce) (you can omit this if you don't want the extra spice)
Salt, to taste

In a bowl, mix together the salmon and the lemon juice. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 4 hours minimum. (This allows the citric acid of the lemons to "cook" the fish by changing it's chemical and physical properties and allows it to have the same look and texture of fish that has been cooked with heat.)

After you take the fish out of the refrigerator, add all your other ingredients, put it back in the refrigerator and let it sit for about 30 minutes for the flavors to mesh together. Serve cold and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment