Pin It

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Stuffed Avocados

Lucky for us, my hubby brought home a bag full of avocados from someone at his work that has a tree in his backyard. When I say a bagful....I  mean a bagful! I'm not even sure what we are going to do with all of them as they are all ripening at one time. Guacamole? Yes! Avocado sandwiches? Yes! Salsa? Yes! But seriously, there is NO way we can eat all these. So tonight I was thinking of a side dish to go with our Ahi Tuna steaks. Then the thought struck me to get an avocado and just start filling it with all the things I love. Ok...not ALL the things, trust me I couldn't stuff my hubby in there and I DO love him! But I'm glad I tried this and I will definitely be recreating it soon. Probably tomorrow as I sit and look at so many ripe avocados on my kitchen counter. ;)
The combo  of flavors worked very well together. It's got just enough spice to give it a kick. If you don't like spice, you can leave out the jalapeno, but try to live on the wild side and just leave it in. It really does add a great element to the dish!
2 Avocados
1/4 cup corn (fresh, frozen and thawed, or canned)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
 1 jalapeno, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt/Pepper to taste
25 Smokehouse roasted almonds (these are the ones with the smoky flavor added)


Cut  your 2 avocados in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the meat of the avocado.

 Set the skins aside to fill later.

Cut up the avocado meat in bite size chunks. Place it in a bowl. Add to that bowl, the corn, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and pepper.

Squeeze the lime juice over the mixture and stir well. Set aside.

 Using the pulse button on your food processor, pulse a few times and process  the almonds until they are very small little pieces. Set the almonds aside. *If you don't have a processor, you can very finely chop them

Right before you are ready to serve the dish, stir the almonds into the avocado mixture. If you stir them in too early, they will soften up too much. 

Use a spoon to fill up the avocado skins with the avocado mixture. Serve immediately!


No comments:

Post a Comment