Pin It

Monday, March 21, 2011

Dinner Rolls

Some days are just meant for the oven to be on! It's definitely one of those days. It's a cold, dreary day outside and yet I am warm and cozy with my oven on, cooking home made bread and my stove working diligently to cook a pot of home made soup. The smells of the food are beckoning me into the kitchen, but I have to wait for John to get home to enjoy the tastes. So for now I sit and type, while drooling over my keyboard at the thought of hot buttered bread and chicken with rice soup. Just like Hansel and Gretel lived in a gingerbread house, which I'm sure smelled good, I think I could live in a  hot buttered bread house ;)  I'm pretty sure there won't be enough left after dinner to start the building....so maybe another time!


1 pkg yeast
1/2 cup VERY hot water
1/4 cup melted butter (1/2 a stick of butter)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 eggs ( see instructions below)
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/8 cups flour

*To use a half an egg, break open the egg and place half the egg white in a bowl. Use your fingers to break the yolk in half and use one half of the yolk

Heat oven to 375.
Combine water and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in the butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Add flour one cup at a time. Mix thoroughly with your spoon after each additon. Cover and refrigerate for 1 1/2- 2 hours, or up to 3 days. Grease a round pie pan or a square baking dish. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise for one hour or until the size of the rolls has doubled. Bake in 375 degree oven for 17 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment