Pin It

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vegetarian Enchiladas (Spinach and Mushroom)


These are the kinds of meals that I think to myself, "I could become a vegetarian so easily if all the food tasted like this". My friend Natasha from work inspired me to make these. She had made these enchiladas awhile back and brought me one to taste. They were so yummy, so I just had to get the recipe from her. She is so sweet that she even brought me some of the dried chilies to make my own chili powder. I took the liberty of tweaking her recipe just a bit, although I must say her version is phenomenal, but I just love to mess with recipes ;)
***I will post her original recipe and then at the end of the recipe I will note the changes I made to it. 

 
Enchilada Sauce:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup New Mexico Chili Powder (Take stems off and process dry New Mexico chilies in food processor until powdered)
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion salt
salt to taste

Directions for sauce
Heat oil in skillet over med high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder and onion salt until smooth and continue cooking over med heat approx. 10 min or until thickened slightly. Season with salt, to taste. Set aside.

For the enchilada filling:
1 container fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 bag of fresh spinach
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp cream cheese
cumin, coriander and salt to taste
Mexican blend shredded cheese
Corn tortillas


Directions for Enchiladas:
Saute the mushrooms in olive oil until softened partially. Add in the spinach and cilantro and cook until the spinach wilts down completely. Prepare your corn tortillas by cooking for 5 seconds on each side in hot oil. Dip them into the enchilada sauce and put on a plate to fill. Fill each enchilada with a little bit of the spinach filling and some of the shredded cheese. Roll up tightly. Place in baking dish. Once the baking dish is full of enchiladas, pour all the extra enchilada sauce on top and place the extra shredded cheese over the top. Bake at 375 for approx 30 minutes.

For the Garnish:   
Diced green onions,
Black Olives, chopped

*** for my version of the recipe sauce, I used half olive oil and half chipotle flavored oil and added 2 oz cream cheese
*** for my version of the recipe filling: I also added 3 Tbsp chopped parsley (added at the same time as the cilantro), 1 Tbsp chipotle flavored oil (added when sauteing the mushrooms), 1/3 cup sliced olives (added when the filling was done)
I also put more sliced olives and sliced green onions on the top before baking them

No comments:

Post a Comment