Pin It

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Slow Cooked Carnitas

What do you get when you cross a crock pot with a pork shoulder roast and some other great ingredients? You get a fabulous dinner. I forgot to lay out my roast yesterday, so this morning I tossed a completely frozen solid hunk of pork into my crock pot along with all the other ingredients, said a prayer and hoped that it would turn out good. Well...it really did!
My sister was here visiting from Oregon. My mom, daughter and grand daughter were here also. We did a few taste tests along the way, and I snuck in a few extra tastes when nobody was looking haha. I'm glad to report there was still some left to make dinner out of ;)
If you really like crock pot cooking (which I only attempt once or twice a year) this recipe is a winner!



I got this wonderful recipe from my taste of home magazine. This magazine always has great recipes in it.

1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4 lbs)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups cilantro, chopped
1 cup salsa
1 cup chicken broth (or the recipe says you can use 1/2 chicken broth and half tequilla)
8 oz. chopped green chilies

Place the meat in the crock pot. Place all ingredients into the crock pot and cook until tender. 6-8 hours. Shred the meat and put it back in the crock pot to heat through again. Serve with flour tortillas and any extras you might want. We use avocados, tomatoes and red onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment