Pin It

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pork and Chicken Posole

I love feeding people. I truly think it's my calling :) So when a phone call came at the last minute this afternoon that my daughter and son in law were on their way over with friends....I didn't have to panic because I had almost finished cooking a big pot of home made posole. I am pretty sure it was a hit as there was none left to send with my hubby to work tomorrow. This is not a quick recipe, but it sure is an easy one. This picture does not do this soup justice as you really can't see all the goodies snuggled down deep in the broth, but trust me it's yummy! Also, this picture was taken before I added all my garnishes to the top of the soup.
2 small-med onions, diced
1 lb pork, cut into bite size pieces
2 lbs chicken, cut into bite size pieces
12 cups of beef broth
2-4 lbs of hominy, drained (canned is fine)...use as much or as little as you like
1/4 cup garlic, minced
4 cups red chili sauce ( I use las palmas colorado sauce..it's like enchilada sauce)
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp oregano
4-8 Dried New Mexico Chilies

* for garnish: Chopped cabbage, diced onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice

In a large soup pot, heat your onion, pork and chicken. When meat just begins to brown, add the beef broth, hominy, garlic, chili sauce, cumin and oregano and the dried chilies. Stir well. Cook for about 2 hours or longer, until hominy is softened. Use a spoon to dip out all the dried chilies. Make sure you dip out the stems also. Throw all the chilies away.  Serve with your favorite garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment