Pin It

Friday, January 17, 2014

Sweet and Sour Thai Chicken

Once again, I apologize for the cruddy picture. I seriously lack in the picture taking skill department. I can cook till the cows come home, but don't ask me to be able to take a good picture of my food ;)
I found this recipe on Pinterest and I knew I had to try it. Lately I seem to be on a serious Asian cooking kick. I think that's 3 nights out of 4 now that I have made Asian food. Maybe that's because I LOVE it! I think I could vary between Asian and Mexican cooking and be completely satisfied . So maybe next week I will find a new "kick" to get started on. Who knows? Anyway, I will definitely be making this one again. We loved it at our house and it was fairly simple to make.
Recipe Source: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/sweet-sour-sticky-thai-boneless-oven-baked-chicken-wings/

For  the chicken:


3- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunky bite size pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 Tbsp conrmeal
For the sauce:
1 cup sweet Thai chili sauce (I use Mae Ploy brand)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp all natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp fish sauce
2 coves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water (optional)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
Chopped cashews, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 475°F. 
Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with Pam.
Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over it. Mix well and set aside.
In a shallow pie dish or large bowl add the panko, cornmeal and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated. Spray the top of the chicken pieces with non stick cooking spray.
Bake for 12 minutes, then gently flip the chicken pieces over and spray the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes more, then remove the chicken from the oven. Reduce the oven to 400°.
While the chicken is baking make the sauce. 
Combine the sweet Thai chili sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, peanut butter, tomato paste, apple juice, rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and pepper in a medium sauce pot. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. If the sauce does not thicken enough, then add in the cornstarch/water mixture and boil 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
Gently toss each piece of chicken in the sauce, draining the excess sauce back in to the pot. Place the chicken back on the pan and repeat until all the chicken is coated in the sauce. Place the pan of chicken back in the oven for 5 minutes.
Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped cashews and any extra sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment