Pin It

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Sour Cream Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting

So I have to start this post and say that I "cheated" and used a boxed cake mix. I love to make homeade red velvet cupcakes but I just didn't have time today. I am taking these to work tomorrow and tonight is church, so a boxed cake mix worked perfect. I didn't want to just make ordinary cupcakes, so I filled these with a sour cream fillling. I know that might sound strange with red velvet, but it's a very light filling that helps to cut some of the sweetness of the cupcake. I made a standard cream cheese frosting and I even colored my own sugar!! Coloring your own sugar is so easy and way cheaper than buying it already colored at the grocery store.
For the cake: Bake a red velvet cake mix according to package directions. Add as many chocolate chips as you like. ( Shake the chips in flour first, it keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the cupcake)

For the filling:
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp sugar  *(I added a little bit of sugar to mine until I felt it was sweet enough)
dash salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla

In the top of a double boiler, stir flour with the sugar and salt. Mix in beaten egg and stir. Mix in sour cream and stir until smooth. Cook over hot water for approx 8 min or until thickened. Let cool before filling cupcakes.


For the frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Blend the cream cheese and butter together in mixer. Add vanilla and mix again. With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar gradually and mix until light and fluffy.

For the colored sugar:

Mix 1/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 tsp red food coloring in a sealed baggie. Knead the sugar until the color is evenly dispersed. Pour out the sugar onto a cookie sheet or plate. Let it dry for 30 minutes. Break up any "clumps" that are left and sift onto the top of your cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment