Pin It

Friday, August 19, 2011

Chicken Posole

Last week my husband came home from work saying how much he loved the Posole they sell there. I got to thinking "hhmm how does a girl who was never taught how to  make authentic mexican foods, begin to find out how to do this"? Well.....I have the sweetest neighbor who is such a great cook. I went to her house and though her English is still "broken" I did my best to write down the recipe as she told me. Tonight after it was finished, I took a bowl to her house for a seal of approval. Guess what??? I got it!! She told me she really liked it and I made her promise she would tell me the truth even if she thought it would hurt my feelings. My husband also gave me the stamp of approval. So tomorrow for lunch it's yummy leftovers for sure!!
*Her recipe calls for an entire chicken, but my husband doesn't like dark meat too much, so mine is cooked with only chicken breasts and I improvised with a couple bullion cubes to add some chicken flavor to the broth. 

1 Medium size can hominy
1 whole, peeled, bulb of garlic (yes the entire bulb...not just a clove)
1 whole onion
4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
4 California dried chilis
2 clove garlic
lg pinch of marjoram
lg pinch of oregano
salt to taste

*For garnish, cut up cabbage, radishes, lime slices, onion and cilantro

Use a knife to poke holes into the onion and the garlic bulb. Boil the garlic. the onion and the hominy (with plenty of water to keep it covered) for one hour, with a lid on the pot.
In the meantime, while this is boiling, put the red chilies into boiling water for 5-8 minutes to soften them. Cut the stems off after they are soft and put the softened chilis into a blender along with the 2 cloves garlic, the marjoram and the oregano. Blend thoroughly. (you might need to add a little bit of water to the blender). After it's blended, push through a strainer into a bowl. After the hominy has cooked for one hour and is soft, add the chicken and the chili mixture into the pot with the hominy. Cook until the chicken is done. Salt if needed and serve with garnishes on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment