Pin It

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

It's not too often when I have a day that I'm not looking forward to cooking dinner. Well, today was definitely one of those days! With my mind on many of life's issues, I just didn't have it in me to create anything new myself or to make an elaborate recipe. So, this is the kind of day that just screams out "CASSEROLE." As it turns out, I'm really happy it was a casserole kind of night. This was a delicious dinner, easy to prepare and it filled our bellies well.
*Sorry for the "twisted to the side" pan in the picture. I obviously didn't even realize it was like this until I saw the picture....AFTER we had consumed the meal, so there was no going back haha. 
*Recipe adapted from the original recipe found at: justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef 
1 large onion, chopped

26 oz jar of salsa
1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (powder)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6- 8 corn tortillas, (Depending on the size dish you use) ( I used a 2 qt dish and only had room for 6)
1 1/4 cups of frozen corn 
1/2 cup  sour cream 
2 cups, grated, pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, Drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn, taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a layer of meat mixture on bottom of a well greased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Place a corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Repeat as many layers as you can to use up the meal, tortillas and cheese.
Place a layer of grated cheese over the top of the casserole. Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro.

4 comments:

  1. I just made this for my Bunco group and they loved it! Thank you for posting this recipe. I will definitely make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad they enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had this for a while, here at work and opened up your blog so I could make a grocery list to pick stuff up on the way home. Thanks Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie, I don't even really blog much here anymore. Life just got super busy and I kind of lost interest in it. I have thought many times about deleting it, but I guess it's a good thing I didn't!! :)

    ReplyDelete