Pin It

Monday, April 25, 2011

Coriander and Cilantro Flatbread

I was so excited today to pick the cilantro for this recipe, out of my very own backyard garden. This was the first time I have ever done that. You should have seen me....I was like a little kid out there snipping away at the plant and then carrying my cilantro bouquet right under my nose all the way into the house so I could enjoy the great smell of it before cutting it up to use in my bread.
This is one of my all time favorite breads to make. It tastes like a good Indian Naan, but it's just a little bit thicker. It is a healthy recipe, but boy oh boy, do I like to have mine topped with a good butter bath!  So I guess that negates the healthiness of it, but it sure makes it tastes even better than it already is without the butter.
This is the plate of it I served tonight, minus one or two of course, as my daughter and I just HAD to sample it first!!
*makes 8 pieces of bread

1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
3/4 cup plain yogurt

Sift first 5 ingredients into a bowl. Stir in cilantro. Add yogurt and stir with a fork until small clumps form. Knead the mixture in the bowl until the dough holds together. (You can add more flour or yogurt here if you need to in order to achieve a soft, sticky dough) Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each dough piece into a ball and use a rolling pin on a floured surface to flatten out each ball until it's fairly thin or approx 4 1/2 inches across. Brush a skillet generously with olive oil. Heat skillet to med/high heat. Working in batches, add 3 dough rounds to skillet, cook until golden brown and puffed. Turn over after one side is browned and drizzle more olive oil into skillet before browning the other side. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. This looks super yummy...if i made this I would probably eat the whole batch! Bread is one of my biggest temptations haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me...we can eat the whole batch here too. My girls LOVED having this when they lived here. One of their favorites too!

    ReplyDelete