Pin It

Friday, May 27, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting

Today was the last day of school for the students, so I decided to make them something special to take to work today. I was out of a lot of my normal baking ingredients, so I settled for lemon cupcakes with lemon butter cream frosting. I love this frosting because the lemon cut the extreme sweet taste and it was actually a pretty refreshing frosting. Hopefully I can remember the recipe as I just threw it together before work this morning. At 5:30 AM, my brain was not working up to full capacity, so here goes.....

1 box lemon cake mix
1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
3 cubes butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
Juice of half of a small lemon
Zest of 1 large lemon, or two small lemons

Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Let cool completely.
To make frosting:
Mix butter in standing mixer until fluffy. Mix in sifted powdered sugar a little bit at a time until completely incorporated. Mix in vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. (You can add more or less lemon juice and/or zest according to your taste). Mix until thoroughly combined. If frosting is too thick for piping, you can add a small amount of milk...maybe 1/8 - 1/4 tsp.

2 comments:

  1. I love lemon and I wonder why some people are so scared to use it! it embodies fresh and cleansing to me and there is no way I can feel bad about eating food with that on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Fresh and cleansing is a good way to put it!

    ReplyDelete