Pin It

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cilantro Pesto Carrots

If you have ever heard the term "looks can be deceiving" that would certainly be the term to apply to me today. At one point in my work day, students must have thought I was approaching 100 years old with Alzheimer's. I actually forgot 2 of my favorite students names today. It's March people!!! I could understand if it was September or maybe even October but come on...March, really? Then on top of that I forgot part of what I needed to finish tonight's dinner, when I stopped at the store earlier. I have enough to make the main part, but no tortillas to put it in etc! Are you getting a clear picture of my brain struggles today?
At least I had everything to make these cilantro pesto carrots. They were really yummy and I will be  making them again. But alas, another brain struggle in making these. Surprised? I didn't think so!!
I used the original recipe (see notes below for link to original recipe site) and I halved the amount of carrots. So are you shocked to hear that I forgot to halve the amount of pesto I made? So....I made double the amount of pesto to carrots. As I was pouring the pesto over  the carrots, it hit me (not literally, I didn't have THAT bad of a day) that I needed to back off from the amount of pesto. So the picture you see here is half the amount of carrots you see in the recipe below and a little more than half of the pesto recipe below! Sorry...it's just one of those days. If I tried to do the figuring out for you, we'd probably have a recipe for disaster lol

Also, the "looks can be deceiving part applies to this picture too. The picture does not look great, first off because I am a terrible photographer, but secondly it just isn't a combo of colors etc that tends to present itself well in photos, but this really is better than it might look in this picture.
The original recipe was titled: Spicy Cilantro Carrot Fries, but I didn't think they were spicy, hence the name change.
The original recipe  is found at: http://www.whatigather.com
This looks like a new blog and it looks like she has some great recipes over there!!


6 large carrots
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
1/2 jalapeno pepper, roughly chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
Dash of salt and pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions

-Preheat oven to 400 F
-Cut carrots into small (about 2 inches long) sticks (we are making fries here, cut them to about the size of a french fry!)
-Toss carrots with 1 tbsp of olive oil and spread out in flat in a single layer on a baking sheet
-Bake for 20 minutes
-While the carrots are baking, add garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper, and cumin to a food processor.
-Start processor and while running slowly add the olive oil. Process until smooth.
-Remove carrots from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with pesto. Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment