Pin It

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fried Okra

My mom used to make fried okra when I was growing up. She is from the South, so it was just a natural thing for her to make this. Not so much for me. I even had to call her to ask what she breaded hers with. I remembered liking this when I was a kid, and now that I tasted it again, I still do!  I haven't eaten it in years...too many to count. My 2 year old grand daughter even snacked on these. I guess the fact that it's fried, doesn't make it the best choice around, but at least it's a vegetable for her to snack on.
1 bag frozen (unbreaded) okra
1/2 cup corn meal
14 cup flour
salt and pepper
oil for frying

Thaw out the okra for a short time. It doesn't need to be all thawed, just somewhat. In a bowl, mix your corn meal, flour, salt and pepper. Toss the okra into this mixture, in batches,, until coated. Heat oil on high on the stove top. When the oil is hot, add about 10-15 okra to the hot oil. (You don't want to add too much more than this as the oil will cool down and make frying more difficult) Fry until light golden brown. Remove onto a a paper towel lined plate and continue with more batches of okra until it's all cooked. Add more salt to cooked okra if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment