Pin It

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crockpot Shredded Beef for Tacos

This morning I got up with every intention of cooking this shredded beef when I got home from work today. I get home early enough that I thought it would be a piece of cake. Well, good thing I checked the recipe this morning as it calls for cooking it 6-8 hours on low in the crockpot. This is where you can cue the "drama music" that should be playing while I tell you that I ran, yes  literally ran, through my house getting ready for work this morning. I not only managed to get ready, but I managed to get the roast defrosted in the microwave, all the sauce made, and managed to get it in my crock pot before I left for work. *cue applause*
After work I picked up my daughter and grand daughter and  came home to a wonderful smelling kitchen. We were all anxious to try this tonight in our tacos. Oh let me tell you...I am SO glad I made this. It tasted fantastic, was fairly easy (of course it would have been easier if I weren't running around like a maniac before work trying to prepare it) and everyone loved it. It even got my grand daughters seal of approval. For an almost 2 year old, that's saying A LOT!
Recipe Source: www.mykitchenaddiction.com

1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 
2 pounds beef (boneless chuck roast) 
1 teaspoon chili powder 
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
1/2 teaspoon paprika 
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste 
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1/2 large sweet onion, diced 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
Flour or Corn tortillas
Favorite taco toppings

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix onto the beef, covering each side evenly. Once the oil is hot, place the beef in the skillet and sear on each side. Remove the beef from the skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.  Leave the pan on the heat, and add the beef stock, tomato paste and minced chipotle and whisk together. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. 
Add the diced onion and minced garlic on top of the seared beef in the slow cooker.  Pour the pan sauce down over the onions, garlic, and beef.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours .

Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Add the beef back to the slow cooker and keep warm until serving. Serve in a tortilla with your favorite taco fixins!

No comments:

Post a Comment