Pin It

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Swirled Lime Meringue Cookies

If you could have heard the conversation that transpired over these cookies, you would have laughed. I had these cookies sitting out after I had baked them. My hubby comes in and actually says to me "Is that pepper on those cookies"? My answer "oh my goodness no, are you serious...pepper on cookies?" He proceeds to say "Well you do put some crazy things together and they generally come out tasting great." So I told him that it was green colored sugar on the cookies and we both had a good laugh.

 I found a recipe for swirled meringue cookies on marthastewart.com but after looking in my pantry and realizing that I ran out of vanilla a few days ago, I had to come up with something different. So I substituted lime for the vanilla and lime zest for the orange zest in the original recipe. They actually turned out great. The texture may not have been perfectly "meringuey" (Is that a word?...well it is now) but the refreshing lime taste made these wonderful. I suppose because of the added lime juice, they are a little more "chewy" then traditional meringue, but I would definitely make these again.



3 large egg whites, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
Lime juice (half of one small lime)
Large pinch of salt
Large pinch of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
Green, gel-paste food coloring


Preheat oven to 200°  Combine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Add the lime juice. Set the  bowl over a pot of simmering water, and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm, about 3 minutes. Add salt and cream of tartar.Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is mostly cooled, about 8 minutes. Add in the lime zest and mix together. Using a small paintbrush, paint 3 vertical stripes of green food coloring inside a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip.  Using a spoon, fill the bag with meringue, and pipe circular shapes 2 inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.  As you finish piping the circle, swirl the tip off in a circular motion. Bake meringues until crisp on the outside but still soft inside, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment