Pin It

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fiesta Shrimp Skewers with Cool Cilantro Dip and Apple Charlottes for dessert

Today we got our Christmas tree. I would love to tell you that I put on Christmas music, made hot cocoa and put on my favorite winter sweater and scarf, but that would be far from the truth. Instead, we got home with our tree, I quickly changed into a tank top and shorts. I guzzled some ice water to cool off from our trek out in the 85 degree weather and felt like I should be playing some Beach Boys surfer music in the background while I hung ornaments. Gotta love a Southern California Christmas! Anyway, I decided to make a light refreshing dinner tonight to "beat the heat." I made Fiesta Shrimp Skewers over brown rice and made Apple Charlottes for dessert. This was my first time making Apple Charlottes and I really thought they were yummy! I have made the shrimp skewers before and we always love those.


Fiesta Shrimp Skewers
1 lb large shrimp (approx 24)
1/2 cup Newcastle Amber Ale
1/2 tsp shredded lime peel
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 fresh Poblano peppers, seeded and cut into pieces for skewer
2 limes, cut for skewer

Peel Shrimp. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp into a plastic bag that is set into a baking dish. In a small bowl, combine ale, lime peel, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin, red pepper and garlic. Stir together and pour into bag containing shrimp. Marinate for 30-60 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the shrimp but reserve the marinade. Onto a metal skewer (or if you use wood skewers make sure you soak them thoroughly, 30 min. in water before placing over the fire) thread alternately, shrimp, poblano pieces and lime pieces. Brush with the reserved marinade. Discard any unused marinade. Grill the skewers for 8-10 minutes on your grill or until shrimp turn opaque. Turn them once while cooking. Serve with cool cilantro dip. *Recipe following
** I didn't want to grill tonight so I placed my skewers into my broiler set on high. They cooked in approx 6 minutes.


Cool Cilantro Dip

8 ounce carton light sour cream
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp salsa
1/2 tsp shredded lime peel
1 garlic clove, minced

Stir dip ingredients in a bowl until mixed thoroughly. Cover and chill for at least until ready to serve.


Apple Charlottes


This is the link to the Apple Charlotte recipe. It was a really good dessert and fairly easy to put together. I will definitely make these again!!     http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Mini-Apple-Charlottes

Here is a link to a "how to" site for the Apple Charlottes  
http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/Mini-Apple-Charlotte-How-To.html

2 comments:

  1. I love cilantro sauces and dips! chris doesn't like brussel sprouts : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with cilantro! I never used to like brussel sprouts either, but they are so completely amazing for you that John and I have been trying to eat them at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete