Pin It

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Soft Pretzels

Wow, it's been almost a week since I posted anything on my blog. It was busy around here with Christmas. I woke up early this morning and realized there are not very many groceries left in this house, which is very unusual for me and I have no intentions on going grocery shopping in the rain today. So we will make due with some meat in the freezer and a few vegetables we have left. Since I am tired of snacking on "sweets and goodies" from Christmas I decided to tackle a not so sweet snack for today. These soft pretzels were super easy to make and require very few ingredients. As I was rolling the dough out I couldn't help but feel like a kid again rolling play dough.
Soft Pretzels

1/4 oz pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
5 cups flour
8 cups water
3 Tbsp baking soda
Coarse salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 475. Grease baking sheets
2. Combine yeast and brown sugar in large bowl. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups warm water, stirring until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Stir in flour. Blend well. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic,
about 5-10 min.
4. Pinch off a ball of dough and form a ball. On lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a rope and shape into a pretzel. (makes approx 12 pretzels)

5. Combine 8 cups water and baking soda in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lift pretzels with a spatula and drop them into boiling water a couple at a time. Boil until pretzels rise to the surface, about one minute.
6. Place pretzels on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake at 475 for 8 minutes.
Serve warm!

1 comment:

  1. Another Great Super Bowl Idea for me! Sounds super easy to make too

    ReplyDelete