Pin It

Friday, December 17, 2010

Red Cabbage and Mango Slaw

Last night I didn't get home until really late in the evening. I was hungry and needed to throw something together quickly. I found a recipe for a red cabbage and mango slaw that was easy and healthy. I ate a few quick bites of it last night and liked it, but it's much better today after the flavors have sat overnight. I think if I make this again I will add A LOT more mango, extra lime juice and maybe zip it up with some extra seasonings of some kind, but it's extremely light and refreshing. John really liked it also.

Ingredients:
1 head red cabbage, halved and finely shredded (about 8 cups)
1 tsp salt
1 large mango ( I would suggest using 2)
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar

Directions:
Place the cabbage in a large bowl and toss it with the salt, using your hands to press down firmly on the cabbage to encourage the cabbage to release some of it's moisture and better absorb the salt. Transfer the cabbage to a colander and let it sit for 20 minutes to drain. 
Using paper towels squeeze as much liquid as possible from the cabbage and place it into a large clean bowl. Toss with the mangoes, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar and sugar. Let the slaw sit at room temp for 15 minutes  before serving. ( I suggest letting it sit overnight in the fridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment