Pin It

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fish Tacos and Spanish Rice

Woo Hoo Fish Tacos. No...not Wahoos fish tacos, but just as good!! I was craving fish tacos all day long today. I love to order them when we go out (which truly is not often since I love to cook so much) and I also love to make them at home. They don't take much cooking skills at all to put together, it's just time consuming. Add a little Spanish rice on the side and it all equals YUM!!!


4 Tilapia fillets (or any of your favorite white fish) *cut each fillet in half to fit better in tortilla
8 Corn Tortillas

Beer Batter
1 cup flour
1 cup beer
Garlic powder, pepper, to taste ( I add a little cayenne pepper for a little bit of spice)

*Oil for deep frying

White Sauce
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Salsa
1 garlic clove, minced
4-6 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Garnish
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
3 limes, cut into wedges

Directions: Mix flour with spices and stir the beer into the flour mixture. Mix until blended. Wash fish and dry. Be sure fish is completely dry.

Prepare Salsa and set aside.

Put  the oil into a deep skillet and when oil is very hot, place battered fish in a single layer and do not let the fish touch each other. Cook fish until batter  is crispy and golden brown.

Heat corn tortillas lightly in a skillet until they are soft and hot.

To assemble the taco: On each corn tortilla, layer the fish, white sauce, salsa and cabbage. Squeeze the lime juice over it.


Spanish Rice
2 cups rice (long grain)
Oil
4 cups water
3/4 - 1 Tbsp chicken bullion

Salsa: 1/4 small onion
2 regular size tomatoes
1 tsp garlic
Salt
Prepare salsa by placing all salsa ingredients in blender and blend until it is a liquid. Set aside.

Brown rice in oil. When rice is browned, drain off any extra oil. Pour salsa over browned rice. Stir for a min or two. Pour hot water over the rice. After it boils, put in chicken bullion. Mix once through. Put on lid. Turn fire to low. Do NOT remove lid. Cook for 25 min without removing the lid. Turn off the fire and let the rice sit covered for 5-10 min.

6 comments:

  1. I think this will be one of my next attempts. Looks Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhh I hope you try them. Everyone that tries these, loves them. One of our favorites, but then anything with fish is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the salsa and it came out really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it. I make a totally different salsa when I'm just making salsa to eat with chips though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have your salsa recipe! I seriously could eat salsa everyday and I wouldnt get sick of it. My favorite is to put it on my egg whites in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will send it to your e mail tomorrow when I have some extra time to sit down and type it. I have so many recipes that I make, that I'll send you a couple and you can decide which one to make.

    ReplyDelete