Pin It

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad

Fall is officially in the air. It's a chilly night outside and I can smell my neighbors fireplace burning. I am in my winter pajamas and I am still cold in the house! You would think that I would be posting a winter type "hot" meal, but nope....I was hungry for Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad. My sister-in-law Denise, that I love dearly, gave me this recipe a few years back. I loved it then and I still love it! Tonight after dinner, John could not stop telling me how much he loved this salad tonight. It's got a crunch from the celery, a light and refreshing dressing, a sweet taste from the sugared almonds and a little bit of tang from the mandarin oranges.

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped

Mix above ingredients together in a large salad bowl.Set aside.

3/4 cup almonds
3 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp sugar

Place above ingredients in a saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until almonds become coated with sugar and it "sticks" to them and the almonds turn light golden brown. Spread them out onto waxed paper to cool.
*If the sugar does not seem to be "cooking" (sticking)...then sprinkle a few (and I seriously mean ONLY a few) drops of water over the sugar almond mixture while cooking.

1 can mandarin oranges, drained. Set aside.

Dressing:
4 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp white vinegar (I use rice vinegar)
1 tsp salt
2 dashes pepper
2 dashes tobasco sauce ( I use a sauce called Red Hot and I also use about a 1/2 tsp)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix the first two ingredients together until sugar is dissolved. After those two ingredients are blended well, add all other dressing ingredients.

*To assemble salad:
Place greens on plate. Top with chicken. Top with oranges. Top with almonds and spoon well stirred dressing over the top!!

No comments:

Post a Comment