Pin It

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chicken Stuffed with Broccoli and Cheese

Today was a fun day getting the back yard whipped into shape and a garden project finished. I was so happy to have all that done, but I really needed a pretty fast recipe for dinner tonight. I scoured my Pinterest boards to find something that didn't require a lot of time and one I had all the ingredients for in my house already. No such luck...but I did find one that sounded good and I knew there had to be a way to improvise  for what I was missing. So I substituted broccoli for zucchini which was called for in the original recipe. If it was a little later in summer, I will have zucchini coming out my ears in my garden, but for now broccoli would have to suffice, since I was way too tired to climb in my car and make a trip to the store!
* I guess I should have cut these in half so you could see all the goodies on the inside, but we were way too hungry and I was lucky to even get a picture taken before we ate them. That's what happens after a day in the garden!
Original recipe from: http://www.skinnytaste.com 

1 tsp olive oil 
4 cloves garlic, chopped 
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped 
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 
 salt and pepper to taste
3 oz grated mozzarella
8 thin pieces of chicken (You can pound out chicken breasts with a mallet to achieve this) 
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs 
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded  
Juice of 1 lemon 
1 tbsp olive oil 
salt and pepper


Preheat the oven to 450°.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Spray a baking dish with Pam.  

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the broccoli, Parmesan, salt and pepper and saute about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the fire and let the broccoli mixture cool down a little bit.  Add the mozzarella and stir.

Lay the chicken out on a flat surface and spread the broccoli mixture evenly between all the pieces. Roll them up and keep them seam side down. 

In a medium sized bowl, combine breadcrumbs and 2 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese. In another bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.   

Carefully dip your rolled up chicken into the lemon juice mixture and then into the bread crumbs. Roll it around a bit to coat each side with crumbs. Place the roll, seam side down into your baking dish. When you are finished with all the chicken, lightly spray Pam onto the tops of the breaded chicken rolls.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If your chicken is very thin, it may not even take this amount of time. Just check it and see if it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment