Pin It

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Island Tilapia with Mango, Kiwi Salsa

This dinner was inspired by a conversation at work yesterday. After telling a friend at work, how much I love mangoes, she told me about how her family eats them. She said they dip them in a mixture of Sriracha sauce and sweet soy sauce. So today as we huddled around a desk to try a sample that she had brought to work, I knew I would love it! Oh and love it I did!! Sriracha and sweet soy sauce is like a marriage made in heaven. The sweet soy sauce, which has an almost molasses type flavor, blends perfectly with the spiciness of the Sriracha sauce. So after I left work, I kept thinking about how much I loved that flavor combination. I already knew I was going to fix Tilapia for dinner and I knew I could incorporate this flavor profile into my meal. So I began the search through my kitchen for anything I could find that I thought would work well in a mango salsa. I guessed at the blend of sweet soy sauce to Sriracha and I even surprised myself that the combo seemed perfect. I guess I need to start up food conversations more often to keep myself inspired!

*This recipe is for 2 Tilapia fillets


3 Tbsp Sweet soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 Kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 mango, chopped
3 Tbsp red onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped, cilantro
1 1/2 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tilapia fillets
salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, combine the sweet soy sauce and the Sriracha sauce. Stir to mix them together and set aside.
In another small bowl, combine the kiwi, mango, red onion, bell pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Stir together to mix. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp of the soy mixture to the fruit salsa mixture in the bowl. Stir to mix. Set aside.
Season the Tilapia fillets with salt and pepper. 
In a medium skillet,, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on med-high heat. When oil is hot, add the fish. Brush the soy sauce mixture onto one side of the fish with a pastry brush. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn the fish over using a spatula and brush the remaining soy sauce mixture onto the fish. Cook for 2 more minutes or until fish is cooked through. Serve with the fruit salsa on the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment