Pin It

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lemony Hearts of Palm Salad

Who would think that you could take an inner core of a growing bud off certain palm trees and come up with a great addition to salad? I often think to myself, "who is the guy that thought...hey I'll just hack into this tree and see if I can eat the inside." To whoever did think of it, thank you!

I don't buy this often because it's actually quite expensive, but it sure tastes good on a salad once in awhile.

Hearts of palm is considered a delicacy in Costa Rica. They also call it "burglars thigh or swamp cabbage". I thought if I titled this post "burglars thigh salad or swamp cabbage salad" that some of you may never come back here again to read or make any of these recipes. So I just stuck to the old "lemon hearts of palm salad." I really hope you will try this salad. It's so light and so refreshing.
This recipe is from: http://www.foodnetwork.com

Soak 1/4 cup sliced red onion in cold water, 10 minutes; drain. Toss with 2 cups sliced hearts of palm, 1 cup sliced celery and some chopped parsley. Add 3 tablespoons each lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over arugula drizzled with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment