Pin It

Monday, April 9, 2012

Spicy Green Beans

This year I have decided to try and grow my own green beans. The plants are looking great, but it will be quite awhile until they actually get to be harvested. I'm always in such a hurry this time of year for my crops to grow. Until my green beans are ready, I guess I will have to keep buying them. Next time I make these, I will make them quite a bit spicier, as I believe my ability to taste hot food has completely left me. I'm pretty sure you could feed me any  kind of pepper and I wouldn't think it's hot. Well ok...maybe a ghost pepper or a straight habanero, but honestly not much else! My hubby is not a huge green bean fan, so he wasn't as excited about these as I was. I guess when my crop of green beans start being harvested, I am going to have to work really  hard to find new ways to cook them, or I will be giving them all away.


 Original recipe from: http://www.kalynskitchen.com


1 lb. fresh green beans
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp  Unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced

Mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, and pepper.

Use a large frying pan with a lid and heat over high heat.  When the pan is hot, add the green beans and 1/4 cup water; cover and cook on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until the beans are bright green and starting to get tender. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the water is all evaporated.

Add the oil, minced garlic and ginger and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, so the garlic and ginger don't burn.  Add the soy sauce mixture. Bring it to a boil and cook about 2 minutes more, until the sauce thickens and coats the beans and beans are tender-crisp. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment