Pin It

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chili Colorado Burrito

All week I had been waiting for the motivation to strike for me to get this house cleaned up. I know, I know.......those of you that know me are laughing right now and thinking "yeah right, Joni's house not clean?" Ok, Ok, so I clearly have OCD and  my idea of "not clean" clearly isn't as bad as most peoples, but regardless, in my mind, it was unclean. So after spending quite a bit of time cleaning and gardening, I was so happy to know that this meal was going to be so easy to throw together, because the meat had been cooking all day in the crock pot.
Earlier in the week, I found a recipe that I was going to follow, but I wound up changing it so much that it almost wasn't like the original at all. But if you want to know where the original recipe was...I found it at http://food-pusher.blogspot.com/2010/08/chile-colorado-burritos.html


2 lb roast of your choice ( I put mine in frozen right into the crock pot)
salt/pepper to taste
1 fresh jalapeno, diced (leave out the seeds if you don't want the extra spice)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, diced (save a few pieces to put on top of the burrito when it's done)
2 tsp beef bullion powder
1 (28 oz) can red enchilada sauce
1 cup cilantro, chopped (save 1/4 cup of the cilantro to put on top of the burrito when it's done)

 Flour tortillas ( I use whole wheat)
 1/2 cup sliced black olives
 Grated cheddar cheese



sour cream for topping

 Turn your crock pot on to the high setting. Put in the roast,  salt, pepper, jalapeno garlic, onion, bullion powder, enchilada sauce and cilantro. Leave on high for 6 - 8 hours or until the meat is tender enough to shred. When it's done, take out the meat and place it on a cutting board and shred it up. Place the meat back into the crock pot. Stir to combine the juices back with the meat. Put the crock pot on the "keep warm" or "low" setting until time to serve. When it's time to serve, lay out a tortilla and fill it with as much meat as you like. Place olives on top of the meat. Roll up the burrito and place it on an ovenproof dish. (I find it's easier to put it onto the actual dish you will be serving the burrito on, since it's very hard to transfer once you are done putting it under the broiler) Spoon extra sauce from the crock pot over the burrito. Place grated cheese on the top and place the entire burrito under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is completely melted. Once the cheese is melted, take it out of the oven and top with the extra cilantro and onions. Top with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment