Pin It

Monday, April 9, 2012

Chili Rellano Casserole

Don't ask me why I thought it would be a good idea today to turn my oven on in the middle of this hot spring day in So Cal. I guess when I planned this weeks menu, it must have been a lot cooler. I'm sure glad I did turn it on though, because these turned out great! As I was reading through the recipe this afternoon, it dawned on me that I had forgotten to purchase the black beans that the original recipe called for. These days I blame everything on menopause, so I'm sure this clearly had something to do with forgetting them. (*Insert hot flash here*) Menopause will henceforth be called "mental pause".
So I needed to improvise. I substituted corn for the black beans and I really liked it. I think I'll just stick with the substitution or maybe next time I might try adding both. That's if menopause doesn't cause me to forget who I am and what I'm doing at the store that day!
 

5 large Anaheim chiles 
3 eggs 
3 Tbsp flour 
3 Tbsp sour cream 
3.8  oz can of sliced black olives 
Salt/Pepper. to taste
1 bag Mexican blend cheese 
1 can corn, drained (this is where the original recipe called for black beans) 
1 small can enchilada sauce  
Diced green onions


Move oven rack to the top of oven and set the broiler to high. Wash chiles and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet with the chilies, onto the top rack of oven. Watch the chilies closely. They will blister up and char. This is what  you want them to do. Once the entire pepper is charred, use tongs to turn over the chilies to char the other side. Once both sides are charred completely, remove the chilies from oven and wrap each pepper in a wet paper towel & place in a large gallon size, Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes. Remove the chilies from the paper towel and peel the charred skin off completely. Cut the stem and remove the seeds.  Cut each pepper into half.

In a bowl, combine eggs, flour, sour cream, olives, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with Pam. Spread 5 of the chili halves in the bottom of the pan. Next place half the egg mixture on top of the chilies. Sprinkle with cheese. Next add half the can of corn. Repeat the layers one more time. Pour the can of enchilada sauce over the top and cover with cheese. 
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. When there is 5 minutes baking time left, top with the green onions and continue to bake for 5 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. super good, except i just threw all the ingredients together after i lined the pan with chilies....still awesome though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it Mary! Our family loves this also.

    ReplyDelete