Pin It

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

Who doesn't love home made soup on cold days like this? John is at the shooting range with friends and I am at home in the cozy, warm house making soup. I tried a new version of potato soup tonight. I used to make a family recipe, which I love the taste of, but I have never  been a fan of the thin consistency. This recipe is definitely a thick potato soup that reminds you of eating a big stuffed baked potato. I am looking forward to everyone coming home from the shooting range so we can finally eat! After the dinner is leftover chocolate peppermint ice cream cake. Yummy!

*Sorry if this picture doesn't do it much justice. John has my camera at the shooting range and I had to use my phone camera.


Ingredients:
1 pkg bacon
2/3 cup butter
7 cups milk
8 small- medium or 4 ex large potatoes (baked, peeled and cubed)
1 whole stalk green onions
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper


Directions:
Fry bacon till crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a large soup pot, melt the butter over med-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly while adding and whisk until smooth and a little thickened. Stir in potatoes, half the green onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in 3/4 of the bacon,  1 1/4 cups of the cheese, sour cream and salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until cheese is melted.
Serve with the extra bacon, cheese and green onions garnished on the top of the soup.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my weaknesses! (Without Bacon though)

    ReplyDelete