Pin It

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Boulanee

Boulanee is a food commonly made in Afghanistan. I love Middle Eastern food and I love to prepare these. When my daughter lived at home, this was her favorite thing for me to make. Now she doesn't eat meat so I can't make it for her anymore :(
I made quite a few of these and since I am attempting Weight Watchers....needless to say I had way too many left! I took some to my neighbors house and they really enjoyed them. Sharing food with people, to me, is a way of sharing a little piece of myself.
* I know this photo does not do these justice but believe me when I tell you that everyone loves them!

1 pkg egg roll wrappers
1- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, boiled and mashed with a fork
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
4 green onions, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coriander
Vegetable oil

Directions:
Boil potatoes and mash with a fork. Add salt, coriander, cayenne pepper, cilantro and green onions to the mashed potatoes.
In a skillet, brown ground beef with pepper, salt and coriander until done. Drain well. Mix ground beef with potato mixture.
Take an egg roll wrapper and place a spoonful of filling into the middle. ( I fill mine quite large with quite a few spoonfuls). Dip your finger into a small bowl of water and wet the edges of the egg roll wrapper that is filled.  Fold it closed, making a triangle. Fold the ends of the triangle into the center, making a small envelope. Flatten with your hands.
Heat vegetable oil and deep fry the boulanee until golden brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment